Sonu Nigam’s Karnataka Court Case: High Court Grants Interim Relief Over ‘Pahalgam’ Remarks
Bengaluru, May 15, 2025 — The Karnataka High Court has granted interim relief to singer Sonu Nigam in connection with controversial remarks he made during a live concert in Bengaluru. The court directed that no immediate action be taken against Nigam, while instructing him to cooperate with the ongoing investigation into the incident.

ALSO READ: Sonu Nigam Apologizes to Karnataka: “My Love for You is Bigger Than My Ego”
The relief follows a petition filed by Nigam on May 14, seeking to quash the First Information Report (FIR) that had been lodged against him. The FIR was filed at the Avalahalli police station in the Bengaluru Rural district, based on complaints alleging that Nigam’s comments during his April concert insulted the sentiments of the Kannada-speaking community. The complaint stemmed from media reports and third-party complaints.
The controversy began during an April 25-26 concert at East Point College of Engineering and Technology in Bengaluru. Nigam allegedly made a remark linking the tone of a fan’s demand for a Kannada song to the 1990 Pahalgam terror attack, which killed 26 people. In a viral video from the concert, Nigam pauses mid-performance and addresses the crowd after being shouted at. He expressed respect for Karnataka and the Kannada language but mentioned feeling “threatened” by the fan’s tone.
Sonu Nigam is seen saying in the video, “Yahi kaaran hai, Pahalgam mein jo hua hai na? Yahi kaaran hai jo kar rahe ho, jo kiya tha na abhi?” (This is the reason for what happened in Pahalgam. This is the reason… what you did just now). The comments sparked backlash from local communities, accusing Nigam of insulting the Kannada-speaking population.
Sonu Nigam’s Apology and Legal Proceedings
In the wake of the controversy, Sonu Nigam issued a public apology, expressing regret for any offense caused. He clarified that his comments were directed at a few aggressive individuals, not the entire Kannada-speaking community. “Sorry Karnataka,” Nigam said, adding that he was merely responding to the aggressive demand for a Kannada song, which he said could have been made politely. He also emphasized that he had sung many Kannada songs in the past and had no intention of disrespecting the language or people.
Despite the apology, the incident gained considerable media attention, leading to public outrage. In response to the FIR, Sonu Nigam’s legal counsel argued that there was no intention to insult anyone, and requested that the case be dismissed.
Response from Local Film Industry
The controversy also affected Nigam’s professional ties. Following the incident, Kannada film director K Ramnarayan announced that a song Sonu Nigam had recorded for his upcoming movie, Kuladalli Keelyavudo, would be removed from the film. “Just saying sorry is not enough. He must face the consequences,” Ramnarayan said. Another singer will reportedly re-record the track to replace Nigam’s vocals.
Court’s Interim Relief
The Karnataka High Court’s vacation bench, led by Justice Shivashankar Amarannavar, heard the case on May 15 and adjourned the matter, granting interim relief to Sonu Nigam. The court directed that no immediate action be taken against him while the investigation continues. However, the singer has been instructed to fully cooperate with the ongoing probe.
The case continues to develop, and further hearings are expected in the coming days as both sides await final legal proceedings.