MHA and IB Admit Oversight in Pahalgam Terror Attack, Commit to Stronger Measures
New Delhi | 25 April 2025 — In a crucial all-party meeting held on Thursday, officials from the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) and the Intelligence Bureau (IB) admitted to failing to anticipate the Pahalgam attack. The attack on Tuesday, which caught authorities off-guard, was an unprecedented strike on tourists in the region, which had previously been considered a safe zone. The officials referred to the lapse in anticipation as a “failure” on their part.
A Rare Attack on Tourists
During the meeting, which was attended by top political figures, including Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju, the government briefed floor leaders about the incident. The officials explained that there had been no prior example of terrorists targeting tourists in the Pahalgam and Anantnag areas, making it difficult to predict the attack. “The attack was unexpected; we were not anticipating it,” officials reportedly said, referring to the lack of precedent in the region. The Pahalgam attack caught everyone by surprise, raising questions about the security measures in place for one of the most popular tourist destinations.
Political Support for Government’s Actions
Despite the security lapse, opposition leaders expressed their full support for the government’s stance on countering terrorism. Rahul Gandhi, the leader of the opposition in Lok Sabha, emphasized the need for decisive action but also raised concerns over the alleged security failure in light of the Pahalgam attack.
Rijiju, speaking to reporters after the meeting, highlighted the unity displayed by all parties in backing the government’s efforts to combat terrorism. “All parties said that they are with the government in this fight against terrorism,” he said.
Terrorism Threats and National Unity
The meeting, which also included Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, Home Minister Amit Shah, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, and External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar, ended on a note of solidarity. The leaders unanimously agreed on India’s commitment to tackle terrorism with a unified approach, emphasizing the importance of national cohesion in such trying times.
Rijiju further reassured the public, stating that India has previously taken strong actions against terrorism and will continue to do so in the future. “India has a zero-tolerance policy against terrorism,” he said. The ministers also reiterated the government’s determination to take “more stringent” actions moving forward, particularly after the tragic Pahalgam attack.
Congress Calls for PM’s Presence
While the meeting concluded with a strong message of unity, Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge raised concerns over the absence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who was reportedly in Bihar at the time. He stated that ideally, the Prime Minister should have chaired the all-party meeting to lead the discussion on the matter, particularly given the seriousness of the Pahalgam attack and the security concerns it raised.